Eight months down the road when we got our tax return, we tossed around the idea of getting new cabinets but quickly realized that new cabinets meant new counters, meant new backsplash, meant new sink, and we realized that we weren't up for round two of major remodel quite yet.
Doug and I decided that we would do our kitchen remodel in two phases a la Young House Love. Phase 1 would be our temporary fix up. We would spiff the kitchen up and make it livable. Later down the road, we would do Phase 2, an extensive remodel once we'd lived in the kitchen for a while and figured out the best flow for the room.
So we went for it. Phase 1 is nearly complete. It took a LOT of work. Meaning Doug did a lot of work. I watched babies. I still need to hang some art and regrout the tile, but other than that, we're calling it good.
Here's a break down of what we did. I'm including cost to hopefully inspire my readers to take a stab at a budget kitchen remodel:
- Installed a dishwasher- $800 (gift from a generous family member.)
- Bought a new stove- $1600 (another gift from a family member.) We also got lucky and had our old oven break which was covered by our home warranty, so we received a check for that.
- Overhauled island. New countertop, beadboard paneling on the sides, and a fresh aqua paint job- $500
- Installed new lighting including pendant lights over the island- $150
- Painted cabinets white and installed new hardware. Love the oil rubbed bronze cup pulls- $200
- Removed the cabinet doors on the previously coke bottle glass cabinets (which was actually coke bottle plastic) and painted insides the same aqua as the island- free
- Built and tiled counter height tables for each side of the oven. The oven wasn't centered under the cabinet, and we had a trash compacter that we got rid of, so there was an empty gap- $25
Total spend on phase 1 of our remodel- $3,275
And really, the appliances can be used in phase 2 of our remodel, so they don't even count.
I'm so happy with our kitchen, and it's really put the brakes on a full kitchen remodel which is awesome because I would love to spend that money on landscaping! Jungle be GONE!