archer lee's birth story: part 2


The anesthesiologist arrived shortly and got to work on my epidural.  My contractions were so close together at this point that I had to have a contraction during the insertion of the epidural.  Trying to stay still while being in so much pain was not my favorite.  But sweet relief.  I started to feel that amazing tingly feeling, and I was looking forward to feeling good in a matter of minutes.  But wait.  As one side of my body became more and more numb, the other side was...not numb.  At all.  I let the nurse know and she lay me on my side, hoping the medication would work it's way over.  No luck.  She boosted my epidural twice, nothing.  I felt the baby move into the birth canal.  I paged the nurse to let her know.

The nurse came in and decided to call the anesthesiologist back to redo my epidural.  As he was setting up, Archer started coming out.  I couldn't control it.  It was so painful, and the contractions were just pushing him out on his own.  Doug, helpless next to me, had been praying over me but somehow managed to get a video of the birth.  The nurses stopped the anesthesiologist, called in the on call OB, Archer basically just came out.  No pushes or anything.  In the video, I'm just yelling, "OUUUCH!  IT HURTS SO BAD!"  

I've heard natural birth people say that it feels good to push.  I disagree.  I mean, I didn't actually push, but the birthing part was the most painful.  And it didn't feel better after until the placenta was delivered too. But when they put that sweet boy on my chest, I was pretty darn happy.  He seemed so tiny, and he was!  6 lbs 11 oz of love, 19.5 inches.  Archer was born an hour after we got to the hospital and was closest to a natural birth that I hope I ever get.  I had no tearing this time around, so my recovery has been more or less non existent.  God is so good, blessing us with this sweet surprise.  We couldn't be more in love with our little Archie.




No comments:

Post a Comment