Lizzie's List: Pregnancy Essentials

When I was pregnant, I loved reading lists of products that other moms used or found particularly helpful.  Now, I'm not one to buy things unless I REALLY need them.  Nope.  I am not a Spendy McSpenderstein.  Some may call it cheap, but if buying your underwear from Goodwill and taking home your leftover soup in an individual salad dressing container is cheap then I don't want to be a spendy.

So.  From a thrifty girl's perspective- what did I really need during pregnancy?


  • Pregnancy pillow- I totally scoffed at women who said that they "needed" a pregnancy pillow.  I am a champion sleeper.  A champion, people.  I never thought in a million years that I would be so uncomfortable during pregnancy that I literally couldn't sleep.  But.  You get big.  You have to pee constantly.  Your mind is swirling with fears, doubts, excitement, and squishy babies.  Doug surprised me after a weekend away with this pillow, and man, did I love it.

  • BeBand- BeBand, BellaBand, whatever.  I went cheap on this one and bought the one from Target.  Since I didn't buy a single article of maternity clothes while I was pregnant, I relied on this pretty heavily.  And no, I didn't make some holy pact as soon as I got pregnant not to buy any maternity clothes; I just discovered that I didn't really need any.  I used my BeBand to wear non-maternity jeans and wore a lot of dresses and leggings. *Confession- in the last few weeks of my pregnancy, the BeBand didn't cut it.  I had to use a rubber band on my pants AND a BeBand.*

  • And speaking of leggings- my mom bought me these while I was pregnant.  I guess you can't call this an essential because I totally could have just worn my normal leggings, but I loved the huge panel that goes up over your belly.  That same panel is great postpartum to hold in the post baby tummy.  Thanks mom!
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting- Whatever you do, do NOT buy this book new.  Every time I've gone to Goodwill or Salvation Army (to buy underwear of course), I have seen at least one copy of this book in the used books section.  Or borrow it from a friend.  If she's not pregnant, I'm certain that she's not using it.  I really loved reading about my baby's development, my symptoms, and all the other fun stuff about pregnancy.
  • Camera- even if you feel giant and kind of frumpy during pregnancy, please document it.  I love seeing pictures of my mom pregnant, and I'm sure Kennedy is going to love it too.
Auntie Mimi and I trying to get Kennedy to chase the flashlight.

P.S. I don't really buy my underwear from the Goodwill...unless it's 2 for 1 day.

1 comment:

  1. i loved this blog post. and mom really did bring home her soup in a salad dressing container.

    ReplyDelete