love story- part one

I wanted to share a little bit of Doug and my love story, but first off, no love story can begin without the original love story.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

That is truth.  God is love.  Read it, people.  When I look at Doug and my relationship, the consequences of us meeting, and the decisions that had to be made in order for us to end up together, there is only one explanation.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11


So, Doug and I started at Cal Poly the same year.  I was an incoming freshman and Doug was a transfer student from his community college at home.  Cal Poly was the only school that Doug applied to.  I chose to go to Cal Poly even though I had be accepted into far better schools like Berkeley (sorry Cal Poly) because I fell in love with it during admitted students weekend.

Freshman year.

Doug meets Ryan in his orientation group.  Ryan wants to rush the Christian fraternity, AGO.  Doug hears that there will be free food at the rush event.  He'll be there.

love that goatee.

Doug goes to the rush event and discovers that the Christian fraternity isn't as nerdy as it sounds.  (key word being as.)  He meets a lot of awesome, encouraging men and decides to pledge.

Sophomore Year.

Lizzie's roommate decides that we need to make some new friends.  I am perfectly content with the 3 that I have (my roommates), but agree to attend a rush event with her for LSM, the Sisterhood affiliated with AGO.  I meet the most wonderful, kind, God fearing women and decide to pledge.  See what's happening here?


AGO and LSM often had joint rush events.  At our first joint rush event, I meet Doug who is playing guitar at a bonfire.  "How often do we have these joint events?" "Often, you say?" "Oh yes.  I am definitely joining LSM."

Doug was just my type- tall, skinny, blue eyed, a little bit rowdy, and always down to do anything.


I'ved asked Doug a hundred times what he thought of me when he first met me.  All I get out of him is, "I thought you were cool."  Nice.  Once, after hassling him for a really long time, he finally admitted that one of the first things he noticed about me was how big my boobs were.  

Pretty much as soon as we met, we began hanging out all the time.  We had a little posse that did everything together.  Mostly, it was because my roommate had a crush on Ryan (they are now married,) but I got the bonus of getting to hang out with Doug all the time.  Doug and I had fun together, but I quickly realized that he was not interested in me.  Oh well, friends we would be.  So I thought.


Stay tuned for how I tricked Doug into marrying me.

No comments:

Post a Comment