lizzie's list: nursing edition

Honestly, I don't know if I would have made it through the first few torturous weeks of breastfeeding without a few pieces of equipment, but we're not going to go to crazy here.  This is a list for thrifty girls, remember?  And as awesome as this little puppy looks, I'm not going to call it a "need."

So, what to buy in order to ensure that you have the best experience possible (because regardless of what you do, it's going to hurt like a mother.  At least at first.)

  • Nursing pillow- I actually have 2.  My parents bought me a Boppy, and a friend recently handed down a My Brest Friend.  If we're picking out our nursing pillow by names alone, I'm going with My Brest Friend.  
    • Boppy: I took the Boppy to the hospital with me.  It was brand new and very fluffy.  Turns out that there is such a thing as too fluffy.  Kennedy was so small, and it was so round that she would pretty much just roll into my lap.  I did not love it.  I continued to use it because, well, I didn't want to spend $50 on a new pillow, and now it's compacted down and I love it.  Maybe washing it before use could help this?
    • Brest Friend: I had the opportunity to use one at the hospital, and I contemplated stealing it.  Just for a second.  The pillow is made out of dense foam instead of fluff, so it sits flat and precisely in your lap.  For a newborn, it really seems like the better way to go.  Plus, it has a handy belt attached to it.  Michelle Duggar straps that thing on, feeds the baby, cooks dinner, she's my hero.
  • Nursing pads- Even if you're planning to use reusable pads to save money (or the environment for all you hippies out there), do yourself a favor and buy a box of Lansinoh disposable nursing pads for the first month because:
    • You're leaking too much.  Cotton can't absorb at the alarming rate.  I tried a few different disposable brands and Lansinoh was definitely the most comfortable and absorbent.
    • The reusable pads stick to your nipples.  Sorry for the tmi, but it's the truth.  Wait until you've toughened them up a bit before you subject them to even more torture.
  • Soothies- Everyone seems to recommend lanolin for sore nipples.  That stuff is crap.  It's basically vaseline that you're rubbing on your already extremely sore nipples.  If it works for you, all the power to you, but I wanted the good stuff.  My stepsister-in-law (complicated, huh) recommended Soothies to me.  You can even stick these glorious gel pads in the fridge before use for some serious comfort.  These bad boys are expensive and are only good for 72 hours, but they are so worth it those first few days.  Put some in your hospital bag.  Seriously.

  • Lactation Consultant- When my Santa Cruz bff had her son, she began attending a "lactation support group."  My conservative bestie had gone uber hippie on me (love you Leigha.)  Little did I know that she had found a gold mine.  If you have any trouble nursing, go.  You won't regret it.  Most hospitals have one on staff (freezies!), and you can attend support groups for around $25.  Best $25 I ever spent.  
  • Nursing Bras/Tank Tops- Oh how I fought this.  I had made it through my entire pregnancy without any maternity clothes.  No one told me that I would have to buy new clothes AFTER I had the baby.  Trust me, these things make life so much easier.  Nursing bras are a must; underwire bras can cause clogged ducts, and there is no use wasting money on frumpy wireless bras unless they're nursing bras.  Nursing tank tops are awesome!  You can lift your shirt up without exposing your entire stomach when you're wearing a nursing tank top, and I mostly just wear them alone with various cardigans and hoodies.  Easy access!
  • Breast Pump- I wasn't sure if I should include this or not because it's not an absolute need.  I had some engorgement issues, and it sure did make my life a lot more pleasant.  If you can, borrow one.  There is all sorts of literature from the pump companies saying that it is unsanitary to share breast pumps, but let me tell you, I am an engineer.  Looking at the design of breast pumps, there is absolutely no way that your milk could be contaminated by previous milk.  Just buy your own tubing and bottles.  (To be honest, I didn't even do that. I just sanitized the old ones.)

*The opinions here are just that, opinions.  I am not a breast pump expert.  Wait.  Yes I am.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! You are so right about the pumps, and I'm glad to find someone as cheap (I mean frugal!) as myself :) I've barely worn a bra since Saren was born, the tanktops are perfect for covering up!

    ReplyDelete